Let's start with the premise:
Cyberpunk is often very heavily 80s themed.
In cyberpunk 2077, someone mentioned the concept of "rockers" as a class.
I'm a fan of deckers in cyberpunk, and got the idea of playing a decker in an RPG who hides in plain sight as a musician with his deck disguised as the most 80s of instruments, a keytar.
Then I realized I could probably build one.
I do like my electronics, and I have a 3D printer and modelling software for custom components.
I knew I'd start with a raspberry pi as the computer in it, and searched to find an appropriate keytar to gut and convert into a cyberdeck. Eventually I found a Rock Band 3 keytar controller at a thrift store, which seemed the perfect portable size.
Here's where I've gotten to so far.
Right now it doesn't do much more than exist as an odd raspberry pi casemod, but it is portable. Also, to fit with the theme, I have a belt amp that plugs into it for me to play MP3s out of it, so I guess it's a really inefficient MP3 player.
Future upgrades I have looked at the past and am considering for the future:
A battery powered pico projector to plug into the HDMI and project a larger, more useful screen on a wall. Sadly, pico projectors in my planned price range are far too dim to be visible in a brightly lit convention center.
Android-powered HMD display with a wired connection to emulate a larger screen. Bonus extra cyberpunkiness. So far I'm hung up on the following items: 1) my old android phone seems to have crappy motion tracking, 2) I can't seem to get VR VNC to interface with either RealVNC or tightvnc on the raspberry pi.
You can find the full logging of my cyberdeck build on my blog, my landing page for the keytar is here: https://technomancers-sanctum.blog/keytar-cyberdeck/
If you would like to view my blog in general, here it is:
My STLs are posted on Thingiverse, here:
Warning: I am not sure if all these files are up-to-date and fit. If you use these files you may find that they don't fit precisely. I know the connectors between pieces are loose, but there was also a bit where I was iterating quickly and didn't document well.